Thursday, August 05, 2010

More than 42000 cracks in the archive

Been a while since I posted here, but I have been busy working with the archive project. As you can read since the last post I have passed 41000 and 42000 cracks in the archive.

Besides adding more cracks to archive I have been working on 2 other projects. The project that has been running for a while is the project to find extra files to the existing releases. I’m still going through the existing releases and I’m still finding extra files for the releases. An extra file could be the picture file or docs that belong to an existing release. The other project I have been writing about here earlier. It’s the project about finding the untouched US-releases. There’s also some progress here as I found more US-releases I didn’t have in the archive already. In some cases I even find a European import of the game too that was missing. As a side note I can mention that I even found US-games that have been imported by several times by the same group.

I had some people asking me if I could explain my calculation about finding at least 100000 cracks. Lets take a simple example - the game Kamikaze got 18 different versions, the game Hazar got 24 different versions, Rainbow Islands got 44 different versions, 1942 got 51 different versions and Rubicon got 3 different versions. This shows that in most cases it would be possible to find at least 15 different releases for the most games. This means if I will find 15 releases for 6667 releases I have found 100000 cracks. With this little example 100000 doesn't look like such a big job. As you can see I still need to find 58000 cracks before I reach 100000. This means we need more disks found and more disks transferred, so we can get all cracks preserved.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mason,

Elwix and myself are hoping to add to that database. Scenebase.org is our attempt to have a centralized place for people to send their converted collections so others can enjoy them, and add to the mix. I'm still working on archiving my collection as well, so hopefully you'll have some more us releases to add to your archive in the next few months. We've had a few commitments from others saying they'd add to the mix, so here's hoping. BTW, I'm thankful for your archive and your efforts as well.
DemongerX

c64heaven said...

I like the project with scenebase.org and I lookout for the new disks with more US stuff.

The US scene was different from the European scene and there’s a lot of interesting releases missing still.